Thursday 17 December 2009

UK 2.0: Timberbush1 - Hamish

One of my most anticipated leg of this journey is the Highland tour on 15 Nov. Glen Coe, Fort William and Ben Nevis were places that I had been wanting to go since my first Easter in UK. We joined the Loch Ness, Glencoe & the Highlands Timberbush Tour. Our group was quite big, but I still very much enjoyed it. Our driver and guide was a very cool guy as well. Thanks Dave, I absolutely love your passion and enthusiasm. All things considered, the weather was also fair as we left Edinburgh on the motorway into the highlands. (Thanks for the forum tips about sitting in first row of seats opposite the driver. It sure was great for taking pictures.)

We went past Stirling Castle (below). Wallace Monument was nearby as well. Knowing more about Scottish history does make this trip more entertaining. I have to concur that the highlander sure knows how to make war.

As we headed off the motorway, more rural scenes greeted us. Deers, pheasants and birds of prey can be seen through the woods occasionally.

Autumn was still heavy in the air and perhaps these colors are more preferable to the white monotony of winter.

Our first stop before crossing the fault line and entering the highland proper was at Kilmahog. I was far less concern about coffee than being enamored by Hamish McKay Denovan.

Highland cattle has been describe as being charismatic. I can see why.

The gentle star was very patient with us strangers. Like some other tourists, I bought some vegetables to feed him. There were reddish, apples and carrot too. He has very rough tongue and nose. I have not touched other bovine before, I wouldn't know. His felt like sandpaper to my hand.

Several other cows dotted the meadows beneath the hills.

I took deep breathes of cool and moist highland air. Clouds were rolling in. I could only pray that the skies remain favorable. The highland fault line is upon us. Towards the distant mountains I turned, the moment of truth drew closer. Will the famed Scottish wilderness exceed all of my expectations?

We got into the comfortable bus. I bid farewell to the very old cow. Live longer still, my dear, and you may delight many more tourists.

I dedicate this entry to Jon Lai aka Snappycow.

No comments: