Saturday 19 December 2009

UK 2.0: Timberbush 4 - Fort Williams & Ben Nevis

Having past Glen Coe, we emerged from mountain dominated landscapes and drove by Loch Linnhe, a large sea loch and northward to the town of Fort William.

After a quick lunch of fish and chips, I hurried off to explore the river crossing our route through the town of Fort William in the brief time that was allotted to us.

I have seen such scenes many times in wildlife books. This was the first time I see them for real.

Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in Britain has long been one of the places I wish to visit. Praise the Lord, on that day, I have one thing less now on my do to list. Though I have not manage to climb it, I was blessed enough to lay eyes upon it. It was said that 300 days a year, this mountain top was shrouded in clouds.

I have not only seen its snow capped pinnacles, the sun was busting forth behind the occluding clouds, making the scene all the more glorious.

The glows and rays made the mountain almost heavenly.

I was as excited as a puppy and you will have to forgive my exuberance in being trigger happy. A war memorial stood overlooking these very wonders the soldier had lay down their lives for. It was a very fitting way to commemorate these valiant souls.

Well kept grassy banks framed the memorial as the mountains in turn embraced them.

The silver sunshine was brief. Foreboding clouds rolled back over the landscape like a curtain released at the end of a performance. This is a very memorable performance indeed!

Off we go again, following the Great Glen Fault, further up and further in, towards fabled loch of dark water monster. I am happy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the "United We Con" pic ;)