Thursday 17 December 2009

UK 2.0: Flight: Bristol - Edinburgh

In the wee hours on a Saturday morning, we stood outside Temple Meads Station, waiting for our taxi while enduring the jeer of drunk English youngsters. If slightly unpleasant, they are not unkind. It was 14 November and in a few hours time, we would be flying north, into one of my favorite places.

Despite the warning of turbulence for taking off in wind and rain, the flight was smooth. We headed a little west before we turned north, just above Weston-Super-Mare, by the sea. The waves were gently lapping the crescent bays and yellow lights outline the town's distinguishable design. It was a shame I did not ready my camera then.

As we flew higher and I peered into the sleeping earth through occasional 'clearings in the clouds', I came to think of how densely settled England must be. The clusters of light in the formless blue was never too far apart. Wherever you looked, there are houses. Inhabited places and uninhabited ones were evident in in the predawn light. The English land must have been very fully utilized. Yet is was not harsh, still being able to retain its charm and gentle beauty, which is why this island nation will always be special to me.

As the sun slowly rises, the colors in the sky gently stirred.

Our descent drew nearer as we crossed this major river, which I am guessing to be near Carlisle.

Before long, we were breaking through the clouds and bidding the perfect blue sky farewell.

A grayness washed over us as I behold Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth for the very first time in the air.

Everyone told me how beautiful Edinburgh is, and I would like it. They are absolutely right - I adore it!

No comments: