Thursday 17 December 2009

UK 2.0: Edinburgh - Day 1

It was very fortunate that the rain in the south did not tail us to the north. Under a pleasant sky, we spent the morning on Royal Mile as I tried to familiarize myself with the charming city. From the spacious budget hotel, we made our way uphill towards the majestic castle.

Along the Royal Mile, flavorful buildings adorn the streets.

Outside the castle gate, we could survey the the areas around.

The hills in the distance is the Holyrood Park.

We even manage to catch a glimpse of a demonstration. I did not get to verify what cause was that for.

The changing of the guards also happened while we were there. I did not check my watch, but I guess it must have been 12 o'clock as the time gun (or One o'clock Gun) was blaring many times and certainly more than once.

As the shadows grew longer, we headed eastward and down the gentle slope, after meeting a dear lecturer from The One Academy, who recommended some attractions for us.

I very much enjoy the many old signage as well.

Past the Scottish Parliament building and turning south, we reached the foot of Holyrood Park. It was only 3 in the afternoon, but the sun has already not long to travel before reaching the horizon.

We were hoping to see something more wintry and white, but it seemed that we were weeks too early. Technically, it would have been early winter, but autumn was barely in full swing. The seasons could be late (and I'm wondering when will the tropic snows). I was glad to be there right in the season where many trees were aflame. Warm hues everywhere accentuated by the blue skies and cool shadows made good pictures.

As the stone lion slept, we entered the shadows of Holyrood.

Into that jagged ridge, born of ancient volcano we went.

No comments: