Thursday 24 December 2009

UK 2.0: Edinburgh - Day 4 - Castle

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit" - these are the words inscribed above the Portcullis Ggate through which we were admitted. The Latin royal motto translate as "No one attacks me and gets away with it."

The looming shadow of the Half-Moon Battery greeted us upon our entry. For all the other purposes the structure has served, from royal residence, past prisons and current museums, this is a place inexplicably tie to war.

On the Argyle Battery, six guns aiming seaward was sitting silently. It was the tourists who were busy shooting and straining against the castle wall, aiming for better shots from the commanding view.

There was another gun that wasn't fired in hostility - the One o'Clock Gun. This one was fired to tell time for the ships along the Firth of Forth. Not too many time guns remain operational worldwide.

The time gun was paired with a time ball on top of Nelson Monument on Calton Hill. (It is the tall structure in the distance, high on a hill and jutting above the horizon line). Close to the time before the firing, the time ball would be hoist and visible from the castle.

As time drew nearer for the daily firing, the gun moved into position and crowds gathered in anticipation.

It is One o'clock! The roar echoed in the open expanses around the tower. All in Edinburgh would know.

After the display, I marvel at the cityscape a little longer from the Forewall Battery.

I can imagine what a sight it must be when the military tattoo take place.

The first building that I visited was the National War Museum. The Scots have such rich and long military history that I could easily spend days inside. Of all the glorious and heroic emblem on display, I was most captivated by the simple drawings of Francis Cadell. The rendering of those drawings were so deceptively simple, yet they encapsulated the more personal and human moments of war so well. The sketches were from a series for a book entitled 'Jack and Tommy' produced during the First World War. If anyone know more about this, please let me know.

Outside the National War Museum was a tree. I am not sure about its significance. But it did seem like the only standing vegetation exceeding human height, in the complex of stone.

I next visited the Argyle Tower and the mighty Mons Meg outside the quiet St Margaret's Chapel.

The little chapel stood like a rose among thorns, in fact it was the oldest building in both the castle and all of Edinburgh. While its weathered exterior was similar in form and color to the other structures, the pure white interior walls and humble yet beautiful decorations marked it well as a place set apart, in, but not of the world. The stained-glass window depicting St Margaret, William Wallace (both below), St Ninian and St Columba cast especially vibrant shadows on the unassuming walls.

I went to the ruined David's Tower before visiting one of my favorite buildings of this whole trip - the Scottish National War Memorial. Eagles, Lions (and a unicorn) guard the names of the valiant from outside.

I adore the effort and heart that was put into the memorial's interior. Every wall, every panel, and window was carved, designed and decorated in different yet equally beautiful motives in dedication to the heroes. The Shrine was definitely one of the most beautiful and symbolic places I have seen. The flag soaring gracefully over the Crown Square looked deserving proud.

I next enjoyed the exhibition of the Honours of Scotland: The Scottish Crown Jewels and the Stone of Destiny. The presentation of the history behind those venerated regalia was cleverly and entertainingly done. I have also learn something new when I asked the guide about dolphin motives on the jewels - the marine mammals are symbolic of the Pope and church.

As the winter sun was setting, I spent relatively less time over the rest of the structures. From palace to prisons and the Great Hall and 2 museums I went.

Both the Regimental Museum of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and the Regimental Museum of the Royal Scots held such wealth of display that I could easily spend a day just there. The sun set, and I passed from Foog's Gate and trotted downhill.

A gentle shadow washed over the cityscape. The thronging tourists began to thin.

I took another look over this lovely city, one where you can find both new and old architectures, a piece of highland and a beach. This place is special and blessed.

On this note I ended my sojourn up North for this time and bid the fair place farewell.

I was told that making a wish on Arthur's Seat would come true. I have heard so much amazing things about Edinburgh in different seasons of the year that I would love to see another face of its glory.

No comments: