Friday 14 August 2009

Paris: Gobelins Summer School - Notre Dame

Notre Dame is a fine and mighty building. However a friend of mine complained of how Disney somehow exaggerated it too much for the Hunchback movie.

While I have walked past it on many occasions, being in the middle of the city near St Michel square, I have only entered it once and that was not too long a visit. It is a very beautiful building to be sure. However, the crowds of tourists might have put me off slight.

The interior of the cathedral is dark and impressive, much like how its exterior looked at night. There are many treasures of remarkable workmanship within, from the elaborate stained glass to the more modern looking pulpit.

Somehow, the surrounding darkness only helped accentuated the glory of the cross, which I suppose is about such a House is for, in the first place.

In the cathedral's treasury, there are only a lot of wonderful and curious things usually in gold and decorated with other precious materials. Chief among my favorite is this golden dove.

This unassuming wardrobe is also special as it evoked a sense of being a portal to another world. Is there a winter wonderland, a witch or a lion waiting behind the door?

I was also greatly captivated by the candle lights, lit by the faithful. 1 or 2 may not be too spectacular, but when you have a rack-full of them, in many layers, they looked like an assembly of saints and angels giving praise to the Most-High.

Above all, beyond all the craftsmanship and treasures of our hands, this is my purest delight in my many passage through the cathedral's front courtyard.

In this, I see purity and innocence, and a sense of heaven unmistakably; something the majestic and splendorous House may pale in comparison with.

No comments: