Thursday 13 August 2009

Paris: Gobelins Summer School - Eiffel Tower

This is the iconic Eiffel tower, the last tourist attraction that I visited in Paris.

It is interesting to visit the place 7am in the morning after Bastille Day. Just the day (and night) before, the whole area was filled with raving crowds. People from near and far, numbering in the millions, flood the area.

On the following early morning, with the gentle summer sun caressing the sleepy greenery, all is so still except for workers cleaning up the mess left in the previous night and dismantling the stage and stands for the parade and performances. Every now and then, you would see residents exercising and doing their morning walk under the tress and weaving in and out between the barricades put up for the celebration a day before. A few tents can also be seen under the tress. I even saw a few people huddled up in their sleeping bags in doorways and on park benches.

This is the eagle from the performances stage. I have been trying to look for a picture of it during the performances, when it was in its full glory.

And the front view. This is one big and majestic metal eagle indeed!

As I strolled away towards the metro station near the military school, four American lady tourists were walking towards the tower through the greens.

This was not quite how I expected my visit to the famed iron structure to be. No crowds, only five tourists (including me, in fact I don't feel like a tourist. I felt more like an observer), no excitement, no pesky people hawking souvenirs, no embellishment, but just people doing their work (cleaning up the place), and getting on with their everyday life.

However, I think this is an experience that is much more precious. An observation that I might not get otherwise, to be the witness of a celebration's aftermath. Perhaps to see a side of the Eiffel Tower that not many other tourists see, a side closer to 'reality' (if there is such a thing), bare, naked and honest.

No comments: