Thursday 7 February 2008

Bristol: The Day Before Chinese New Year

Today is Chinese New Year, the Ratatouille year! I wish you will find success, fulfillment of your dreams and destiny as well as lasting friends and favor from kins just like Remy.

Yesterday had been quite a day of unexpected adventure. As the sun beamed again, I decided to get some fresh air in the Ashton Court areas and visiting the Clifton Suspension Bridge. As I passed through the campus, initially just planning to have my lunch there and be on my way to Clifton, somehow I got involved in the introduction for the Erasmus Exchange Students. Met quite a few European students there, some from Germany, Austria, Spain, Holland, Italy to name a few. There were also some other Asian students from Hong Kong and Japan. After the introduction sessions, we end up trekking through the Ashton Court and visiting the Clifton area together, a merry bunch of international students.

Here are some of the things I saw along the way chronologically.

My neighbor the gull - took this outside Watershed. I guess it is sheer luck that the smug bird allows me to get so near to shot it without a telephoto lens.

This is the Clifton area as seen from the River Avon valley. The bridge seen here is none other than the iconic Clifton Suspension Bridge designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

As I cross the rickety country bridge, a train bearing cars passed beneath me. These automobile cargoes looks as if they are on a speeding convoy under the bridge. Not something I get to see too often.

For those of you who wanted to know, this is a picture of my campus, Bower Ashton taken from the Ashton Court area. The foremost building among the trees is the block that is currently under renovation. I heard the animation labs will be moving there in the summer.

The majestic Ashton Court - imagine this greenery stretching forth as far as your eyes can see. My campus is right in front of Ashton Court, in fact many staff and students who drove park their cars in the Ashton Court's car park.

Just an old tree in Ashton Court near the deer park. Somehow I feel this looks better upside down. Maybe there is something uncanny and surrealistic about this 'thing'.

The Avon Gorge as seen from the Clifton Suspension Bridge. This direction leads to the sea if I'm not mistaken.

The suspension bridge itself as seen on Clifton's side. It is a marvel how a bridge that was built in a time to accommodate horse drawn carts now support countless cars each year.

Me, having dinner in Watershed Cafe/bar - to round up the day, I went to watch the British Animation Award (program 1) with 7 other international students. The show is interesting. I get to see how is the Animation here as compared to what we usually get in Malaysia or from America. There are differences, but I will refrain from commenting until I've seen more. British Animation is certainly more than Wallace and Gromit, in fact Aardman have some quite different but not less impressive work as well.

Here are some links to the Suspension Bridge
http://www.clifton-suspension-bridge.org.uk/
and the British Animation Award
http://www.britishanimationawards.com/

2 comments:

Ciaee said...

miao. :3 Gong Hei Fatt Choiiii!!!

anas hussain said...

Gong Hei Fatt Choiiii! maybe you get to see dragon dance instead of lion dance .