Saturday 25 July 2009

Paris: Gobelins Summer School

GOBELINS, l'école de l'image
Gobelins Summer School - Character Animation 30th June - 15th July

I can't practically find words to describe this amazing experience in the famed animation school in Paris. All the passionate and amazing teachers have so much to impart. If anything, the intensive classes and workshops have shown us how some of the very Best in the world do things.

Meeting another 40+ animators in various stages of their career from 22 countries, who are all so enthusiastic about what they do is another priceless experience in itself.

When it comes to the school's commitment to excellence, the hospitality is great too. Eeven the lunches everyday between the sessions are highlights of themselves.

Each day, we can go into the school as early as 7.45 in the morning and there are at least 3 ways to go to the school from our hostel. I usually pick the bus ride and a short stroll down the pleasant Arago Boulevard.

This is the junction that intersects with the Gobelins Metro Station, another alternative way to get to school.

Each morning, the lectures will be held within the newly renovated hall with air conditioning, quite a necessity in the sweltering Parisian summer.

The workshop facilities are wonderful as well. I like the energy and momentum of a room full of sweaty animators working away.

The view from my workstation in the corner.

Out of the many great tutors and Gobelins alumni we met, I am very pleasantly surprised to meet Max Maleo. I can't call myself a Burning Safari fan without taking a picture with the director.

I will have to repeat that I can't possibly tell you how good it is. If you are really into character animation and is willing to spend 2400€ and 2 weeks, those are definitely time and money well spent. Given the chance, I would like to see these staircases again in that venerated building.

And certainly, I do miss all of you wonderful people!
Alexandre Heboyan (our teacher who work on Kung Fu Panda) and Max Maleo are also in the pic.

Wishing everyone all the very best in their paths ahead and dearly hope to see you again some day.

No comments: