Saturday 25 July 2009

Paris: Gobelins Summer School - The Pompidou

Out of the various museums, Pompidou Centre was the first one that I visited.

Among many things, it is also the museum of modern arts and i stumbled upon a exhibition exhibition I particularly enjoyed. I never know about Alexander Calder's work, or at least not his fascinating toys of circus and animals. I also like his wire sculptures a lot. They are so simple, yet we know in first glance what they are. He has amazingly distilled the essence and main characteristics of a creature or person into simple lines. I am not that big of a Kandinsky fan though. The permernant exhibits are in a configuration that prioritize Women/Women Artists at the moment. I do enjoy seeing many of the examples used in our Visual Culture lectures back in university there. Nothing quite like seeing the real 'piece'.

I find the high-tech architeture design of the building an interesting juxposition with the classical Paris buildings.

However, on a clear day, the top floors of the centre does offer some spectacular view of the cityscapes around.

You can see the Sacré-Cœur in the background of these, on the hill of MontMartre.

With such gorgeous weather outside. I do tend to fell conflicted when walking along the cool dim corridors between the galleries.

Why would I want to look at a second hand interpretation of the world when the world, such an amazing city is right outside, waiting for me to explore? I do feel that even Picasso's work is dim in comparison to the summer iridescence outside.

And outside the cetre was an exhibition of modern fountains.

Here is a colorful one.

In contrast, one that won't look out of place in a Neil Gaiman's novel. It could fit very well in the Beldam's garden.

More to come...

No comments: