Monday 28 July 2008

Far West Live: Mad for Real

Date: 26th June

I have to say that living 5 minutes from an eventful contemporary art center has some major perks. Of all the events and exhibitions I've seen in Arnolfini, this has to be the most fun and exciting one thus far.

"Far West is an experimental project that will transform Arnolfini from an arts venue into a distinctive ‘concept store’, that explores the shifting of the economic centre of the world to the East." (from Arnolfini's site)

The performance by Yuan Cai and JJ Xi started at the crowded quayside on the sunny afternoon. Before 4pm, when the performance was due to start, the glass cube was well surrounded by spectators of all ages, from toddlers to seniors. Even before the duo make their grand appearances, many cameras were readied.

The artists made their appearance. The fight begun as they slowly encircled their yummy weapons of soy sauce and ketchup.

The crowds cheered as they 'whipped' and 'shot' each other with torrents of red and black.

The crowds cheered them on, as they went Mad for Real. Some would find it hilarious even as the floor became slipperier and they struggled to stand.

As time passed, they wear less...

and less... (after all, Arnolfini did issued a big sign stating 'May Contain Nudity' right in front of the cube.)

Things get really colorful before long. If I may say so, the half-naked hunks do seem to err a bit towards masochism.

Near the finishing act, one of them played 'the Thinker', while the other rained all the remaining sauces on his head.

Here are the artists fresh out of the cube when they ran out of ammunition. Too bad they had wiped off quite a bit of their 'colors' before posing for photography.

I do find the aftermath of their 'saucy struggle' beautiful. Maybe these organic smudge lines will look great on the walls of some contemporary gallery too!

Still life - of empty bottles and discarded clothes in a sea of dancing lines.

Now, whatever meaning the duo might have intended, personally, it does brought back some good memories in TOA. The Influences Workshop by Anna Gerber & Anja Lutz is definitely one of the highlights of my three years there.

Maybe one day I shall get to do something as unfettered again!

1 comment:

Amanda Ho said...

Memories!! (hehe.. your bursting coloured balloons!)

Bing, how are you? Sorry I've taken so long to drop you a comment even when you've sent us all mails regarding your blog. But I've been visiting too ^^ it's so nice that i get to see and learn so many things about life in Bristol even though I'm not there (despite the fact you do make me feel very envious of you lar X3 *hmph*)

oh well, i'll be quitting my current job soon. I'll have more of 'my-time' to do my own stuff and look more into the 'insights' of everyday. i'll try to blog more, so do visit my blog to and drop some comments now and then ya?

miss you my friend! take care!!