Friday 18 April 2008

08 Easter Break Chornicles - Aberdeen

Date of the trip: 28 March - 4 April 2008

Aberdeen, the 3rd largest city in Scotland after Glasgow seems to carry a very different atmosphere. It is called the Granite City or more poetically, the Silver City with the Golden Sands to which I heartily concur.

The city looks silvery gray on a fine day, but I think it is right after a heavy late afternoon shower that it is the most spectacular. Mica deposits in the wet granite sparkled like silver stars. The city has a wealth of Gothic (or fairytale castle) looking buildings throughout the area. Buildings with a 'pointy top' like this is fairly common.

Besides the many gorgeous buildings, there are also a lot of wonderful sculptures throughout the city center. The War Memorial Lion near the art gallery certainly ranks as my personal favorite.

Yes, indeed I love this stylized lion more than the more realistic looking ones in London's Trafalgar Square, although they are equally majestic.

Now, I shall try to share some pictures of the long sandy beaches that earned the 'Golden Sand' nickname for the city. It has been a while since I hear the sound of crashing waves and gaze upon the open sea. The promenade and green field that lined the sandy coastline also enhance the charm of the scenery and act as an ideal place for people to hang out.

Standing by the surf, allowing the wind to caress your face and watching the ominous distant storm picking up is such a liberating experience. Here I stand on the fine beige sands, between the wild North Sea, a coming storm, a brilliant rainbow at the horizon, an amusement park and a modern city at my back- it feels great!

Much like Bristol, I think Aberdeen would make a good place to live. Here, you can indulge in the comforts of modern life, enjoy the distinctive architectures glimmering in the sun and equally step outside and wander near untamed nature.

I would like to thank Adeline and her flat mates for hosting us for the week. It is great to meet all of you and thanks for sharing so many things, even your birthday and gatherings. Thanks for enabling us to have such a marvelous time!

1 comment:

Quirksy said...

Hey Woon Bing,

It was my great pleasure to host you both. I thoroughly enjoyed your visit! :) Take care there.