Wednesday 9 January 2008

The Depth of End

At the beginning of 2008, I learn this:

2 things I can say about The End or endings in general:

1) The Beginning and End comes about not by the will of man but by the will of God. We seldom get to choose the day and hour as well as circumstances of an ending.

2) The end always comes like a thief. Not because it is sudden and unexpected, but because it comes so subtly, it come so unobtrusively and we grew so used to its coming that when it is finally here, it almost seems natural that this is the only reasonable conclusion. It often slips our mind that change is approaching, that death and new life is around the next bend down the road. We often know. We are most of the time aware but grew accustomed and familiar with the Phoenix’s Fire burning a little further in our path.

At the end of 2007, I think the biggest lesson I’ve learnt is this:

After being part of the Graduation Campaign and the Camp Committee, working with mostly non-Christians in one case and exclusively Christians in the other, I would like the assert my hypothesis that people often goes more than six feet underwater.

People are like icebergs. Most of us only show very little above the water. The deeper we dive, the more we see that ‘hey, there’s so much more to others under the surface as well. There are very few shallow people out there or perhaps it would be a fair assumption that there are in fact No shallow people out there. The intellectuals like to pass this judgment on others. But now I wonder. Perhaps it is only my own lack of depth that makes me see others as shallow. That because I’ve not dive deep enough myself that I cannot see the depth of other peoples’ iceberg.)

What does seeing these icebergs beneath the surface means? It fills me with awe. A reminder that I’m not dealing with walking cardboards or talking mannequins or scripted NPCS, but dynamic living growing Image Bearers, whose potential in Him is only as far as they limit themselves.

We do not see, often is because we have not opened our eyes.

We see what we don’t like because we are only willing to stick our head in the shallows.

But when really give our all and dive deep, deep, deep to the abyss, we find treasures and glory and a heaven beneath the waves.

What’s not to like there?

No comments: